Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Rutherford revised (40)

40. To my Lady Kenmure            From Anwoth  5 Dec 1634

Madam, -  My humble obedience in the Lord remembered. I write to tell you, it has pleased the Lord, to let me see, by all accounts, my work in God's house here is at an end; and I must now learn to suffer; but I am poor scholar. By a strange providence, some of my writing about the corruptions of the times, have come to the kings possession. I know, that wise and well-connected people will censure me as not  being wise nor careful enough; but that is to be expected as a part of the cross of those who suffer for Him. Yet I love and pardon the one responsible; I would commit my life to him, though through him this has happened to me. But I looked higher than him. I do not question your Ladyship's love and care to do what you can from my help, and am sure that in my troubles, your Ladyship will wish me well. I seek nothing except that my Lord may be honoured by my witness. I was willing to serve him more; but seeing that he would have no more of my work, and this land will drive me out, I pray for grace to learn to get on with sadness, if I may give so rough  a name to such a mark of those who will be crowned with Christ. And though I might possibly prove a faint-hearted, unwise man in this, I do intend otherwise; and I do not want to go on the calm or sunny side of religion, or to put truth between me and a storm: my Saviour did not so for me, who in His suffering took the windy side of the hill. No more; but the Don of God be with you.
   Your Ladyship's in the Lord Jesus,   S.R.

No comments: