Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Rutherford Revised (271)

271. To Earlston, Younger  From Aberdeen Sep 22 1637

(See letters 99,196)

Much honoured sir,- Grace, mercy and peace be to you. - I am well. Christ triumphs in me, blessed be His name. I have all things. I trouble no man. I see the this earth and is fullness are my Father's. Sweet, sweet is the cross of my Lord. The blessing of God on the cross of my Lord Jesus! My enemies have contributed (not on purpose) to make me blessed. This is my palace, not my prison; especially when my Lord shines and smiles on His poor afflicted and sold Joseph, who is separated from his brethren. But He often hides Himself; and there is a day of law, and a court of challenges with me; I do not know if it is fenced in God's name. But oh, my neglects! My unseen guiltiness! I imagined a sufferer for Christ kept the keys of Christ's treasure, and might take out his heart full of comforts when he pleased; but I see a sufferer and witness will be held at the door, as well as another poor sinner, and be glad to eat with the children, and to take the side table.  
   The cross has let me see heaven is not next door, and it is castle not quickly taken. I see also, it is neither pain nor clever to play the hypocrite. We have all learn to sell ourselves for double price; and to make the people (who call ten twenty and twenty a hundred) think us half gods, or men who fell out of the clouds. But oh, sincerity, sincerity, if I knew what sincerity meant!
   Sir, lay the foundation this way, and you will not soon shrink or be shaken. Make tight work at the bottom, and your ship will ride all storms, if your anchor is fastened on good ground; I mean within the veil. And truly I think this is all to gain Christ. All other things are shadows, dreams, fancies and nothing.
   Sir, remember my love to your mother. I pray for mercy and grace to her; I wish her to go on towards heaven. As I promised to write, show her that I lack nothing in my Lord's service. Christ will not be indeed to such a poor man as I. Grace, grace, be with you.
   Yours, in his sweet Lord Jesus,  S.R.

No comments: