Saturday, August 17, 2019

Rutherford Revised (262)

262. To Robert Lennox of Disdove   From Aberdeen  Sep 13 1637

(See letter 213)

Worthy and dear brother, - In my imprisonment I do not forget you.   I know that you are looking to Christ; and I beg young follow your look. I can say more of Christ now by experience (though he is infinitely above all that can be said of Him), than when I saw you. I am drowned head over ears in His love. Sell, sell, sell all things for Christ. If this whole world was the beam of a balance, it would not be able to bear the weight of Chris's love; men and angels have short arms to fathom it. Set your feet on his piece of blue and base clay, of an over decorated and well plastered world. An hour's kissing of Christ is worth a world of worlds.
   Sir, make sure work of your salvation: do not build on sand; lay the foundation on the rock of Zion.
   Sir, make sure work of your salvation: do not build on sand: lay the foundation on the rock of Zion. Strive to be dead to this world, your will and lusts; let Christ have a commanding power and a king's throne in you. Walk with Christ  though the world take the skin off your face: I promise you that Christ will win the battle. Your pastor make you go wrong. Unless you see Christ's word, do not go one foot with them. Do not agree to the reading of that Romish service book. Keep you clothes clean: you would walk with the Lamb clothed in white. The wrongs which I suffer are recorded in heaven. Our great Master and Judge will be upon us all. and bring us before the sun in our blacks and whites: blessed are those who watch and keep themselves in God's love. Learn to know the Bridegroom's voice, and to give yourself to prayer and reading. You often heard me. I would put me heart's blood on he doctrine I taught, as the only way to salvation: do no go from it, my dear brother. What I write to you I write to your wife also. Mind heaven and Christ, and keep the spark of the love of Christ, which you have got. Christ will blow on it if you entertain it; and your end will be peace. There is a fire in our Zion, but our Lord is only seeking a new bride, refined and purified, out of he furnace. I assure you, though we are nicknamed Puritans, all the powers of the world will not prevail against us. Remember, though a sinful man write to you, those people will be Scotland as a green olive tree, and a field blessed by the Lord; and it will be proclaimed, 'Up, up with Christ and down with contrary powers.'
   Sir, pray for me (I name you to the Lord), for further evil is planned against me.
   Remember my love to Christian Murray and her daughter.  I want her, in the edge of her evening, to wait a little; the King s coming, and He has something she never saw with Him. Heaven is no dream. "Come and see' will teach her best. 
   Yours, in his sweet Lord Jesus,  S.R.
   

No comments: