Monday, March 11, 2019

Rutherford revised (64)

64. To Alexander Gordon of Earlston From Edinburgh 5 Sep 1636

Much honoured sir, - I have small hopes of Queensberry's business. After the council day I intend to go on to Aberdeen. The Lord is with me: I do not care what do men can do. I burden no man, and I want nothing. No king is better provided for that I am. Sweet, sweet and easy is the cross of my Lord. All men I look in the face (of whatever denomination, nobles and poor,  friends and strangers) are friendly to me. My Well-beloved is some kinder and warmer then ordinarily and comes and visits my soul. My chains are overlaid with gold. Only remembering my fair days with Christ in Anwoth and my dear flock (whose situation is my heart's sorrow) is the vinegar in my sweetened wine. Yet both sweet and sour feed my soul. No pen no words no ingenuity, can express to you the loveliness of my only, only Lord Jesus. So in haste, making for my palace at Aberdeen, I bless you, your wife, your eldest son and other children. Grace, grace be with you.
    Yours in His only, only Lord Jesus.    S.R.

No comments: