Saturday, March 02, 2019

Rutherford revised (47)

47. To Marion M'Naught             From Anwoth Undated 

Worthy and beloved Mistress, - my love in Christ remembered. I have sent you n letter  from Mr David Dickson concerning the placing of Mr Hugh M'Kaile with themselves; so I write to you now only to beg in Christ not to be discouraged at it. Submit to the will of your dear Lord, who knows best what is good both for your soul and your town; for we believe that God can come over greater mountains in these; for He works His greatest works contrary to human reason and means. 'For my thoughts are not your thoughtsneither are your ways my ways, declares the LORD.'.  (Is 55:8). I am in no way shaken from my belief for all that. Believe pray and work. We will make Mr John Kerr, who took me to Lochinvar, to find a way to seek a man if Mr Hugh fails us. Our Lord has a little bride among you, and I trust he will send one to woo her to our sweet Lord Jesus. He will not lack for a wife to woo, and he has plenty of ways by his hand to open all the locks and bars that Satan draws over the door. He comes to his bride leaping over the mountains, and skipping over the hills. His path to his bride is full of stones, mountains and waters; yet he puts in his foot and wades through. He will not lose her; so refresh me with a couple of words concerning your confidence and  courage in our Lord, about that and about his own church, for He woos His wife in the Burning Bush; and by the good will of Him that lives in the Bush, the Bush is not burnt up. It is better to weep with Jerusalem in the morning, than to weep with Babel in the afternoon, at the end of the day. Our day of laughter and rejoicing is coming. In a little time you will see the salvation of God. I long to see you, and to hear how your children are, especially Samuel. 
  Grace be to their inheritance and share from the Lord, and then their inheritance will please them well. Remember my love to your husband. The Lord Jesus be with your spirit.
    Yours in the sweetest Lord Jesus,  S.R.

No comments: