Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Rutherford Revised (149)

149. To the much honoured John Osburn, provost of Ayr.           From Aberdeen 14 March 1637

Much honoured sir, - Grace mercy and peace be to you. From the little I know and hear of you, I have to write to you. I have nothing to say except that Christ, in that honourable place where he has put you, has entrusted you with a valuable pledge which is His own glory; and has armed you with his sword to keep the pledge and make a good report of it to Gd. Do not be afraid of men. Your Master can cut down his enemies, and from withered hay make fair flowers. Your time will not be long; after your afternoon will come your evening, and after evening night. Serve Christ. Back Him; let His cause be your cause; do not give away a hair's  breadth of truth; for it is not yours but God's. Then, since you are going, take Christ's certificate with you out of this life - 'Well done, good and faithful servant!' His 'well done' is worth a ship full of 'good days' and earthly honours. I have reason to say this for I find Him truth itself. In my sad days, Christ laughs cheerfully and says, 'All will be well!' Would to God that all this kingdom, and all that know God, knew what is between Christ and me in this prison, - what kisses, embracing and communion of love! I take his crosses in my arms with joy; I bless it, I rejoice in it. Suffering for Christ is my crown. I would not exchange Christ fo ten thousand worlds, no, if I could compare it, I would not exchange Christ for heaven. 
   Sir, pray for me, and the prayers and blessing of a prisoner of chest are with you in all your troubles. Grace be with you.
   Yours in Christ Jesus, his Lord,   S.R.

No comments: