Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Rutherford Revised (135)

135. To William Fullerton, Provost of Kirkcudbright                  From Aberdeen 13 Mar 1637

Much honour Sir, - Grace mercy and peace be to you. I am very grateful for your love in God.
   I beg you, Sir, let nothing be so dear to you as Christ's truth, for salvation is worth all the world, and therefore, do not be afraid of men who will die. The Lord will provide for you in your suffering for Him, and will bless your family and children; and you have God's promise, that you will have His presence in fire, water and seven troubles. Your day will wear out and your sun set. In death your joy will be that you have staked all on Christ; and heaven is only promised to those willing to suffer for it. It is a castle to be taken by force, This earth is only the clay share of bastards; and therefore, it is no surprise that the world smiles on its own; but better things are in store for His legitimate children, whom the world hates.
   I speak this from experience; for I would not exchange my prison and sad nights for the favour, honour and easiness of my enemies. It pleases my Lord to make many strangers to smile on me, and to provide a lodging for me; and He Himself visits my soul with feasts of spiritual comforts. Oh, how sweet a Master in Christ! Blessed are those who give all for Him.
   I kindly thank you for your love to my trouble brother. You have the blessing and prayers of the prisoner of Christ to you, your wife and your children.
   Remember my love and blessing to William and Samuel. I want them to seek the Lord while young, and to fear His great name; topiary go God twice a day at least, and to read God's word; and to keep themselves away form cursing, lying and filthy talk.
   Now, the only wise God, and the presence of the Son of God, be with you all.
   Your, in his sweet Lord Jesus,  S.R.


No comments: