Wednesday, May 08, 2019

Rutherford Revised (131)

131. To Jean Brown                   From Aberdeen 13 Mar 1637 

Mistress, - Grace, mercy and peace be to you. I am glad that you continue behind Christ in this dark and cloudy time. It is good to sell other things for Him, for when all these things are over, it will be found to our advantage to have taken Christ's part. I confidently believe that His enemies will be His footstool, and he will make green flowers into dead, withered hay when their honour and glory will fall, like the bloom or flower of a green herb shaken by the wind. It is not wise for us to think that Christ and the Gospel will come and sit down at our fireside; no, for we must go out of our warm houses and seek Christ and His Gospel. We must not look for the sunny side of Christ, then forsake Him for lack of it; but we must set our face against whatever may happen to us in following until He and we are through the thorns and bushes and reach dry ground. Our soft nature wants to be carried in Christs arms through the troubles of this miserable life, but in His wisdom, who knows our character, that His children get to heaven with wet, cold feet. Oh it would be a sweet thing to lighten our burdens by fitting our hearts to the burden and making our Lord's will our law!
   I find that Christ and His cross are not so hard to please, nor such troublesome guests as men say; no, I think patience can make the water Christ gives us into good wine, and his dross into good metal. And we have a reason to keep on waiting; for before too long our Master will be with us and expose this whole world black and white before the sun in the daylight. Our time is not so long that we need to be tired; time will eat away and root out out sadness and sorrow. Our heaven is budding and growing to harvest. Why then should we not follow on as our hand breadth of time will reduce to an inch? So I promote Christ to you as your last and longest living Husband, and the support of your old age. Let Him now have the rest of your days. And do not be concerned about the storm in the ship where Christ sails: no passenger will fall overboard, but the crazy ship and the sea sick passenger will come safely to land. .
   I am in as sweet a communion with Christ as a poor sinner can be, and my only pain is that He has such fair beauty and I so little love; He great power and mercy, and I have little faith; He has much light and I have bleary . O that I could see Him in the sweetness of His love, and in His wedding clothes, and I was head over heels in love with that princely one, Christ Jesus my Lord. Alas, my cracked dish and leaking vessel can only hold a little of Christ Jesus.
   This gives me joy, that I would die before I put Christ's property at the disposal of men who may chose to set their own times, and do I know if they would please Christ and me? Alas that this land has put Christ up for open auction, and to an ' Any higher bid?' Blessed are those who would hold the crown on His head, and with their losses buy Christ's honour.
   I am pleased to hear that your son John is coming to visit Christ, and taste His love. I hope his efforts will not be in vain and he will not regret that choice. I have always (as I often said to you) had a great love for dear Mr. John Brown, because I thought I saw Christ in  him more than in his brothers. I would like to write to him that he stand by my sweet Master; and I want you to let him read my letter, and know the joy I will have if he will appear for and take the side of my Lord Jesus. Grace be with you.
     Yours only in his sweet Jesus,    S.R.


No comments: