Wednesday, May 08, 2019

Rutherford Revised (132)

132. To Jean MacMillan   From Aberdeen 1637

(She was probably a parishioner in Anwoth)

Loving Sister, - Grace, mercy and peace be to you. I cannot some to you and advise you; and though I would come I could not stay. But I urge you yo keep Christ for I did what I could to put you close to Him. I plainly told you Christ's instructions and held back nothing that my Lord gave me; and I was pleased to give Christ to you. I ask you to make Him your own, and not to leave that truth which in a short time I taught you. If you follow that truth it will save you. Salvation is not an easy thing quickly obtained. I often told you that few are sad and many damned: I ask you to make your poor soul sure of salvation, and you make seeking heaven your daily task. If you never had a sick night and a soul pained with sin, you have not yet found Christ. Look for the right evidence of having found Christ. If you love Him more than the world, you would leave the world for Him and that would show your salvation is real. Oh, if you saw the beauty of Jesus and smelled the scent of his love, you would run through fire and water to be with Him.! God send you Him.
   Pray for me for I cannot forget you. Grace be with you.
      Your loving pastor,  S.R.

No comments: