Monday, September 23, 2019

Rutherford Revised (338)

338.To the Right Honourable and Christian Lady, the Lady Kenmure From St. Andrews 28 Jan 1653

Madam,Grace, mercy, and peace be to you.The Lord is gracious who kees your Ladyship in the fire, when many put out their hand to evil one way or other. We are now shouldering and throwing down one another in the dark, and the godly are hidden from the godly. We make our own chains heavier by joining with the Lords enemies; hence new sufferings to all that dare not say Do not call conspiracy all that this people calls conspiracy, and  do not fear what they fear” (Isa. 8:12.) As that is my exercise now, who am not very far from being alone (though I know in whom I have believed, at least I should know) in this place; so I am afraid that the godly there comply with those declared enemies of God. It will be our strength to walk between enemies and evil men on either side. This is the day of Jacobs trouble; yet these dry bones can, and must live. I do not know if I will see it, but I hope to take this quietness and silence of faith, in the middle of the noises of the alarm for war, to the grave with me, that the Lord will build upon the church of Britain and Ireland a palace of silver, enclosed with boards of cedar.
   Dear Madam, do not faint; the night is almost gone; for the vision is yet for an appointed time; but at the end it will speak, and not lie: though it delay, wait for it, because it will surely come, and not delay.” Madam, do not be weary; no-one can outbid your lodging in heaven; there is more given for it, by Him who has spoken it for Jean Campbell, and taken it for her, than any can offer. The ransom of blood stands.
   My wife remembereth her respects to your Ladyship. The child is well. Mrs. Gillespie is well, we hear, but is not here.
page699image3548573488
   Grace, grace be with you.
      Yours, in his own Lord Jesus Christ,  
S. R.


No comments: