Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Rutherford revised (36)

36   To Marion M'Naught             From Anwoth  20 May1634

Well-beloved Mistress, - my love in Christ remembered. I hear today that your town is to choose a commissioner for the Parliament; and I am written to from Edinburgh to see you that good men should be chosen in your area. And I have heard today Robert Glendoning or John Ewart is likely to be chosen. I ask you to see that this is not to be so. The Lord's cause needs other witnesses than such men to speak for Him; and therefore, let it not to be said that Kirkcudbight, which is spoken of in this kingdom for their religion, has sent a man to be their speaker who will speak against Christ. Such a time as this will not happen once in half an age. I would ask your husband to take it upon himself. It is an honourable and needed service for Christ, and  show him I wrote to you for this purpose. I fear William Glendoning has neither skill nor authority. I am greatly troubled. Pray for me for we must take our life in our hand in this bad time. Let us stir ourselves up to lay our Lord's bride and her wrongs is before our Husband and Lord. Lord Jesus be with your spirit.
   Yours in his sweet Lord Jesus,  S.R.

No comments: