Sunday, January 27, 2008

Class- christiansquoting.org.uk

There may be said to be two classes of people in the world: those who constantly divide the people of the world into two classes, and those who do not. Robert Charles Benchley

The true way to overcome the evil of class distinctions is not to denounce them as revolutionists denounce them, but to ignore them as children ignore them. G K Chesterton_Charles Dickens_, 1906

Sir, there is one Mrs. MacAulay in this town, a great republican. One day when I was at her house, I put on a very grave countenance, and said to her, 'Madam, I am now become a convert to your way of thinking. I am convinced that all mankind are upon an equal footing; and to give you an unquestionable proof, Madam, that I am in earnest, here is a very sensible, civil, well-behaved fellow-citizen, your footman; I desire that he may be allowed to sit down and dine with us.' I thus, Sir, showed her the absurdity of the levelling doctrine. She has never liked me since. Sir, your levellers wish to level down as far as themselves; but they cannot bear levelling up to themselves. They would all have some people under them; why not then have some people above them? Boswell: Life of Johnson

No comments: