Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Rutherford Revised (352)

352. For Mr. John Scot, at Oxnam   From St. Andrews 8Aug 1658

Reverend and Dear Brother,Your letter that came unto me, of August 2nd, to be at Edinburgh upon August 2nd, was unknown to me by the subscription. But since it was written for so honourable and warrant- able a truth of Christ, as a testimony against Toleration, if my health would have permitted, and my daily menacing gravel, I should have come to Edinburgh. What either counsel, countenance, or clearing, you could have had from the like of me, I cannot say; nor dare I speak much, but with a reserve of the help of His grace. I desire to desire, and purpose by strength from above, to own that cause, and to join with you and some in this church, besides your Presbytery, who will own that cause. Be strong in the Lord, and in the power of His might. This cloud will go over, could we live by faith, and wait on a speaking, and a seemingly delaying vision. (Heb. 2: 3.) The Lord will not delay.
Grace be with you. Many are with you, but there is One who is above millions.
  Your own brother,  S. R.

No comments: