Saturday, September 14, 2019

Rutherford Revised (298)

298. To the Reverend and dear Brother, Mr David Dickson on the death of his son From St. Andrews 28 May 1640

(See letters 110,116,168,259)

Reverend and dear brother,- You look like the house of which you are a branch: the cross is a part of even that lies different on all the sons of the house. I want to suffer with you, if I could take a liftt of your house trial off you; but you have preached it before I knew anything of God. Your Lord may gather His roses, and shake His apples, at what season of the year he pleases. Each gardener cannot make harvest when He pleases, as He can do. You are taught to know and adore His sovereignty, which he exercises over you, which yet is lustred with mercy. The child has only changed a bed in the garden, and is planted up higher nearer the sun, where he will thrive better than in the outfield moor ground. You must think your Lord must not want  him an hour longer; and since the day of your loss of him has expired (as it is if you read the lease), let Him have His own with gain, as good reason is. I read on it an exaltation and a richer measure of grace, as the sweet fruit of your cross; and I am bold to say, the the college where  your Master has set you now will find it. 
   I am content Christ is so homely with my friend David Dickson., as to borrow and lend, and take and give with Him. And you know what are called the visitations of such a friend: it is, come to the house and be homely with what is yours. I persuade myself on His credit, that He has left drink money, and He has made the house the better with Him. I do not envy His wakened love, who said this water was to be passed through, and that now the number of crosses lying in your way to glory are fewer by one than when I saw you. They must decrease. It is better than any ancient or modern commentary on your text, that you preach on in Glasgow. Read and spell right, for He knows what He does. He is only lopping and pruning a fruitful tree, so it may be more fruitful. I heartily congratulate with you His new welcome to your new charge.
   Dearest brother, go on and do not faint. Something of yours is in heaven, alongside the flesh of your exalted Saviour; and you go on after your own. Time's thread is shorter by one inch than it was. An oath has been sworn and passed the seals, where troubles will or not, you must grow and swell out of your shell, and live, and triumph, and reign, and be more than a conqueror. For your Captain, who leads you on, is more than conqueror, and He makes you partaker of His conquest and victory. If love to you did not compel me, I would no take water to the well, and speak to one who knows better than I can do what God is doing with him.
   Remember my love to your wife, to Mr. John, and all friends there. Let us be helped by your prayers, for I do not stop mentioning you to the Lord as I can.
   Grace be with you.
      Yours, in his sweet Lord Jesus,  S.R.

No comments: