Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Rutherford revised (306)

306. To Mt. Thomas Wylie, Minister of Borgue  From St. Andrews 20 Oct 1643

(Thomas Wylie was a minister iin Borgue, Kirkcudbright. Later he was in Mauchline, Ayrshire and then Kirkcudbright. At the restoration of Charles II the Privy Council ejected him and with his family he was banished north of he Tay. In 1670 he became minister in Coleraine for three years before returning to Scotland at Fenwick, Irvine. He died in 1676.) 

Reverend and dear brother,- I neither can nor am able to write to you concerning the business, as it is my affair more than yours, and you write to me what I should write to you. If grace does not pay our debts and stand surety for us, I do no see how I will make a reckoning for one soul, far less for many; only it is God's will we put grace to the test and engage Chris for His own work. If He refused charges to His own servants, he lost bankruptcy will fall on Him. But He must not be a loser nor can His glory suffer. But I must beg you for the help of your prayers, as you will do for me anything out of heaven, and possible to you. I am now called to England; the government of the Lord's house in England and Ireland is to be settled. My heart witnesses, and the Lord who is greater knows, my faith was never prouder than to be a common rough country labourer in Anwoth; and I could not look at the honour of being a mason to lay the foundation for many generations, and to build the waste places of Zion in another kingdom, or to have a hand or finger in that carved work in the cedar and alum trees in that new temple. I only want to lend a shout and cry,'Grace, grace in the building.' I hope you will help my weakness in this; and seek help for me from others as if I had named them, and pray for the favour of my Father's seas, winds and tides and for the victory of strong and prevailing truth.
   Grace be with you.
      Yours in Christ,  S.R.

No comments: