Thursday, August 29, 2019

Rutherford Revised (283)

283,  To Reverend and Respected Friend, Thomas Macculloch of Nether Ardwell     From Aberdeen  5 Jan 1638

Reverend and much respected,- Grace, mercy and peace be to you. - I long other how your soul prospers,  and I expected you would have written to me. My strong desire for you, is that you seek the Lord and His face. I know you are not ignorant that your daylight is fast going away, and your sun declining. I beg you by the mercies of God, and by he wounds of your redeeming Lord, and your dreadful appearance before the awful Judge of living and dead, make your account clear and plain with your Judge and Lord, while you have fair daylight, for your night is coming on. Therefore, I pray you, judge more of the worth of your soul. and know that you are in Christ, and secure in your own soul, you are blessed forever. Few, few, yes very few are saved. Grace is not put down at every man's door; so speed yourself and others on seeing Christ and salvation; and learn to overcome, in the bitterness of your soul, your sins in time. It is no easy to take heaven, as the word says, 'by violence.' Keep your tongue from cursing and swearing; keep from wrath and malice; forgive all men for Christ's sake, as you would have your Lord forgive your. I pray you, seeing your time is short, be quick in your journey to heaven, that you may secure a lodging for your soul against night.

   Remember my love to your wife, to William your son, and the rest of your children.
      Gave be with you.
         Yours, at all hours, in Christ,  S.R.

No comments: