Thursday, August 08, 2019

Rutherford Revised (236)

236. To Mr. James Hamilton   From Aberdeen Sept 7 1637

(See letter 214)

Reverend and dear brother, - Peace be to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. I am depressed when I remember what I am, and that my outside looks good when I find so little in me. It is amazing that Christ's glory is not defiled, running through such an unclean and impure channel. But I see that Christ will be Christ, in the dregs and refuse of men. His work, His shining wisdom, His beauty, speak loudest in blackness, weakness, deadness, yes, in nothing. I see nothing, no money, no worth, no good, no life, no deserving, is he ground from which Omnipotency delights to draw glory. Oh, how sweet are the inner walls of Christ's house, and a room alongside Himself! My distance from Him makes me sad. Oh that we were in oneanother's arms! Oh thathe middle things between us were removed! I find it hard to keep pace with Christ.When He laughs I can scarcely believe it. I would be so glad if it was true. But I am like a low man looking up to a high mountain, I would climb up, but I find I do not advance in my journey as I would wish; yet I trust He will take me home before night. I am not surprised that Antichrist is so busy in his slaves: but our crowned King, sees and looks and will arise for Zion's safety.
   I am exceedingly distracted by letters and visitors; what I can do or time permits, I will not omit. Excuse my brevity but I am busy. Remember the Lords prisoner: I want be mindful of you. Grace, grace be with you.
   Yours, in his sweet Lord Jesus,  S.R.

No comments: