Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Rutherford Revised (273)

273. To Willian Rigge of Atherie  From Aberdeen Sep 30 1637

(See letters 114,256)

Worthy and much honoured sir,- Grace, mercy and peace be to you.- How sad a prisoner would I be, if I did not know that my Lord Jesus had the keys to the prison Himself. and that His death and blood have brought a blessing to our crosses, as well as to ourselves! I am sure that trubles have no prevailing right over us, for they are only our Lord's sergeants to keep us in His place this side off heaven. I am also persuaded they will not go over the boundary, nor enter into heaven with us. For they find welcome there, 'where, there is no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, nor any more pain,' and, therefore, we will leave them behind us. Oh if only we could get a way of dealing with sin, even this woeful and wretched body of sin, as I get  of Chris's cross. No, indeed I think the cross bears both me and itself, rather than I, in comparison with the tyranny of the lawless flesh, and wicked neighbour, that lives besides Christ's new creature. But oh, this is what presses me down and pains me. Jesus Christ in His saints is neighbour to a bad second, corruption, deadness, coldness, pride, lust, worldiness, self love, security, falsehood and a world of similar, which I find in me, that are daily doing violence to the new man. Oh, but we have reason to carry low sails, and to hold fast to free grace, free, free grace! Blessed be our Lord that way was ever found out. If my one foot was in heaven and my soul half in, if free will and corruption were absolute lords of me, I would never wholly win in. Oh, but the sweet, new and living way, Christ has made up to our home, is a safe way! I now find presence and access a greater dainty than before; but the Bridegroom still looks through he lattice, and though the hole in the for. Oh, if he and I were on fair, dry land together, on the other side of the water!
   Grace be with you.
      Yours, in his sweet Lord Jesus,  S.R.
   

No comments: