Sunday, August 18, 2019

Rutherford Revised (266))

266. To John Fleming, Bailie (magistrate) of Leith                            From Aberdeen Sep 20 1637 

( See letters 68,228,241.)

Worthy sir, - Grace, mercy and peace be to you. - the Lord has safely brought me to this strange town. Blessed be His holy name, I find His cross easy and light. And I hope He will be with His poor sold Joseph, who is separated from His brothers. His comforts ave abounded towards me, as if Christ thought shame (if I may say so) to be together with such a poor man as I am, and would not have me lose anything in His work. My enemies, despite their intention, have made me more blessed, and have put me in a sure possession of Christ than I ever had before; only the memory of the fair days I had with my Well-beloved, among the flock entrusted to me, keeps me low and sours my unseen joy (1 Cor 2:9). But it must be so and he is wise who teaches me in this way. As for that which my brothers have and I want, and others of this world, I am content; my faith will give credit to God for my happiness. No son is offended if his father does not give hm wages twice a year; for he is to stay in the house, when the inheritance is to be divided. It is better that God's children live upon hope than on wages.
   So remembering my love to your worthy and kind wife, I beds yuo and her and all yours in the Lord's name.
   Yours, in his only, only Lord Jesus,  S.R.


No comments: