Saturday, July 24, 2010

Why Go To Church?

 A Church goer wrote a letter to the editor of a newspaper and complained
 that it made no sense to go to church every Sunday... "I've gone for 30
 years now," he wrote, "and in that time I have heard something like 203,000
 sermons. But for the life of me, I can't remember a single one of them. So,
 I think I'm wasting my time and the pastors are wasting theirs by giving
 sermons at all." 
 
 This started a real controversy in the "Letters to the Editor" column, much
 to the delight of the editor. It went on for weeks until someone wrote this
 clincher:
 "I've been married for 30 years now. In that time my wife has cooked some
 32,000 meals. But, for the life of me, I cannot recall the entire menu for
 a single one of those meals. But I do know this... They all nourished me
 and gave me the strength I needed to do my work. If my wife had not given
 me these meals, I would be physically dead today. Likewise, if I had not
 gone to church for nourishment, I would be spiritually dead today!" When
 you are DOWN to nothing... God is UP to something! Faith sees the
 invisible, believes the incredible and receives the impossible! Thank God
 for our physical AND our spiritual nourishment! 

1 comment:

bwsmith said...

A wonderful point about the meals your wife prepared -- when I feel resistance to going specifically to worship, I believe it is my old nature resisting the pruning God has in mind for me.
And I must needs remember to pray for the men who preach that their message is Christ-centered and they are refreshed by God Himself.