Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Books read in July 2018

1. My Book of Kells Colouring Book (The Secret of Kells) by Eoin O'Brien (Illustrator), David Rooney (Illustrator)

I bought this on Iona where the Book of Knells may have been written. I got it for my granddaughter to colour - an educational and artistic challenge indeed.

2.DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: Scotland by DK (Author)

A reasonable short guide but mainly for the non-British tourist. Lacking on religion and church history which id part of the story.


3. Christ in His Suffering (The Schilder Trilogy: Vol 1) by Klaas; Zylstra, Henry (translator) Schilder (Author)

I bought this book, hardback as part of the trilogy, when it was published in English 40 years ago but only this year have I read it all.I have been reading this daily since Easter. I read Vol 3 in Lent. Now for Vol 2. Schilder is a master exegete. Here are my notes.http://christianquoter.blogspot.com/2018/04/schilder-trilogy-christ-in-his.html

4. A complete concordance to the Holy Scriptures The Old and New Testament or A dictionary and alphabetical index to the Bible by Alexander Cruden  (Author)

Amazon has many versions of Cruden's. This is the nearest I have found to the one in my possession which is the 8th edition printed in 1817. Internet search engines have rendered concordances redundant yet one marvels at this monumental work. First there is a 1761 dedication to the newly  regnant and as yet uncrowned George III. Next in the book but of earlier date is the original dedication to the king's late grandmother, Caroline of Brandenburg-Ansbach (Wilhelmina Charlotte Caroline; 1 March 1683 – 20 November 1737[) was Queen consort of Great Britain as the wife of King George II. She dies the month after Cruden's first edition. There is a beef unsigned biography which propagates the now challenged belief that Cruden was rightly incarcerated several times for mental illness.. After the concordance there is a table of proper names in the Bible, both people and places. Then there are listings of the titles of Christ and the church. Finally a concordance to the apocrypha. Most exptensive 




No comments: