Friday, July 13, 2018

Quotes 13 Jul

When God kindly allures us to himself, and assures us that he will take care of our safety, since we have embraced his promises, it is right that we highly extol his power, that it may ravish our hearts with admiration of himself. - John Calvin on Psalm 27:1.

At least two thirds of our miseries spring from human stupidity, human
malice, and those great motivators and justifiers of malice and
stupidity, idealism, dogmatism and proselytizing zeal on behalf of
religious or political idols. - Aldous Huxley, Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow (1952).

“ Probably the best way to describe [the] concept of modern theology is to say that it is faith in faith, rather than directed to an object which is actually there…Modern man cannot talk about the object of his faith, only about the faith itself. So he can discuss the existence of his faith and its ‘size’ as it exists against all reason, but that is all. Modern man’s faith turns inward.” – Francis Schaeffer

I believe the single most significant decision I can
make on a day-to-day basis is my choice of attitude.
It is more important than my past, my education, my
bankroll, my successes or failures, fame or pain,
what other people think of me or say about me,
my circumstances, or my position.
Attitude . . . keeps me going or cripples my progress.
It alone fuels my fire or assaults my hope.  When my
attitudes are right, there's no barrier too high, no
valley too deep, no dream to extreme, no challenge
too great for me.
--Charles R. Swindoll (1934-    )
      _Strengthening Your Grip: Essentials In An
       Aimless World_ [1982], "On Attitudes"

No comments: