Monday, April 15, 2019

Rutherford revised (113)

13. To the Reverend and dear Brother, Mr Robert Douglas  From Aberdeen 7 Mar 1637

My very reverend and dear Brother, - Grace, mercy and peace be to you. I long to see your letter. I can only write that this for which I suffer is Christ's truth; because He has been pleased to seal my sufferings with glorious unspeakable joy. I know he will not put His seal on blank paper; His seals are not worthless nor will he be witness to a lie. I beg you my dear brother, to help me to praise and lift Christ up on His throne above the heraldry of the earth. I am astonished and confounded at the greatness of His kindness to such a sinner. I know that Christ and I will never be even; I will die in His debt. He has left an arrow in my heart which pains me for lack of real possession; and hell cannot quench this fire that God has lit. I do not want anyone to slander Christ or His cross because of me; for I have many reasons to speak much good of Him. He has brought me to a place of communion with Himself that I did not know before. The sound and dread of our Lord's cross is more fearful and hard than the cross itself. When His children come to deep water, he takes them in His arms: when they lose their footing and have to swim, His hand is under their chin.
   Help me by your prayers; and remember my love to your kind wife. Grace be with you.
   Your brother, and Christ's prisoner,       S.R.

No comments: