Monday, April 08, 2019

Rutherford revised (100)

100. To the Lady Cardoness  From Aberdeen 20 Feb 1637

My dearly beloved and longed for in the Lord, - Grace, mercy and peace to you. I long to hear how your soul prospers, and how Christ's kingdom grows in you. I encourage and beg you for Christ's sake, do not faint or grow weary. There is a great need for heaven There is a great need for heaven and you must have it. All other things lighthouses All other things like houses, lands, children, husbands, friends, country, credit, health, wealth, honour may be lacking; but heaven is your one thing needed, it is the good part that will not be taken from you. See the you buy the field where the pearl is. Sell everything and buy salvation. Do not think it easy; for it is a steep climb to eternal glory; many lie dead on the roadside who were killed by false security.
   Nine Lord Jesus has led me just such a place in Christianity that I think little about past things. Oh, what I want! I want to so many things I want so many things that I am almost asking if I have anything at all. Every man thinks he is a rich enough in grace until he takes out his purse and counts his money, and then he finds his store is only poor and light in the day of heavy testing. I have found that I had not enough to pay my expenses I have found that I had not enough to pay my expenses, can you start house of everything can you start house of everything and I would have fainted it want and poverty had not chased me to the storehouse of everything.
   I beg you to be conscientious about your path. Be kind and conscientious with your tenants Be kind and conscientious with your tenants. To fill a gap or hole, do not make a greater gap in your conscience. I wish plenty of love to your soul. Let bastards inherit the world Let bastards inherit the world; do not make it yours. After the last trumpet is blown, the world and all its glory will be like an house burnt to ashes and like an old roofless fallen castle. Shame shame on us fools who think ourselves in debt to the world! My Lord has brought me to this; for this world's kindness I would not give a drink of cold water. I am amazed that the men long after love or care for these feathers I am amazed that the men long after, love or care for these feathers. It is almost a remarkable world to me. To think that some men are so mad as to block things up with dead earth! To put out conscience and get in clay again is a strange bargain!
   

No comments: