Friday, April 12, 2019

Rutherford revised (108)

108  To Lady Kaskeberry    From Aberdeen 7 Mar 1637

Madam, - Grace, mercy nd peace be to you. I long to hear how your Ladyship is. I do not know how to repay your Ladyship's kindness; but your love to the saints, Madam, is stored up in heaven. I know it is for the sake of your well-beloved Christ that you make His friends so dear to you, and concern yourself so much for them.
   I am in a good situation in every way in this house of pilgrimage: Christ is most kind and loving to my soul. It pleases Him to feast a stranger and an exiled prisoner with his unseen comforts; and I would not exchange my Lord Jesus for all the comforts this side of heaven. His yoke is easy and his burden is light.
   This is His truth for which I now suffer; for he has confirmed it with his blessed presence. I know that Christ will yet win the day and gain the victory in Scotland. Grace be with you.
   Yours in his sweet Lord Jesus,  S.R.

No comments: