Monday, September 04, 2017

Diary w/e 9 Sep 17

Sunday 3rd Sept

As usual my computer/FB/email sabbath. Our adult Sunday School classes resumed with record, room filled attendance for the start of a series on revelation, the theological discipline not the book. Morning sermon was Gothic Jones again this time on the Magnificat - and why Christians sing. Talked to visitors from Bournemouth, Poland and Australia. Evening was outstanding from Chris Roberts on the conclusion of Ps 23. God shows his friendship for us by means of a victory meal in the presence of defeated enemies like death. One of the pleasures of church life is seeing babies come, grow into infants, children then teens and believing adults. There is a similar progression which is more rarely observed, that of a worship leader and preacher. Chris Roberts has grown by leaps and bounds over the years into a very capable leader and an outstandingly able preacher. Yesterday's sermon was really top class. This is not in any way to adversely compare Gethin in the morning. Morning sermons are not so well received by me. Nothing to do with the preacher but I am alert in the evenings usually whereas I tend to be dopey in the mornings. I have slept through the best of preachers, even, IIRC the Doctor in my younger days - when I was not even so dopey


Monday 4th Sep

IPC session meeting at Dean Hall. Pictures on FB. Our largest ever meeting with elders from three churches, men under care with one from a fourth church and then men preparing to be ruling elders. IPC originally did not distinguish ruling and teaching elders but we have moved towards a more traditional structure. One distinctive we have retained is that all elders being apt to teach are able to administer the sacraments.

Tuesday 5 Sept
I have been digging and weeding each morning before breakfast but have been told to desist due to mud into the house. I will be resuming when the ground is not so soft.I had to prepared for U3A World religions on The Trinity. For the past two months another member was scheduled to lead on Mithraism. Then one day before he tells me he has an hospital appointment. Surely he knew this some time ago? So I did my 12th man act stepping into the breech. It went well with six ladies my group, all but one from a Christian background originally but some not professing faith now. I also had one Muslim contributing. Unfortunately our Jewish member was absent.



Wednesday 6 Sept
Nurses visited and changed by compression bandaged on my legs. However in future I have to go to the nurses in Northolt. Not a place to find easy parking. In the evening we had the first of our IPC monthly prayer meetings at Dean Hall. Around 30 there with a good spirit. We pray as a meeting and also in small groups of four or so.

Thursday 7 Sep

Lords was a good day. Once again I proved the walking stick is a magic charm even on the most crowded of trains. A seat is vacated for the old man with the stick. Al Lord's I was given priority admission, no queue and even had a steward offer to carry my bag up the steps into the stand at mid-wicket. Once again I found a seat sold cheaper for it was called restricted view did in fact suffer little restriction, in this case a small part of the boundary obscured where I think I missed a couple of fours only. Half an hour lost to bad light and drizzle but seeing West Indies all out for 123. England stumbled to 46-4 by the close The day belonged Stokes with 6 for 22, the best bowling I have ever seen at a game I attended. My only regret was I forgot my camera for more pictures of the home of cricket's full house.

Friday 8 Sep

Our move preparations are well underway. First to be sorted was the garden shed. I am on the way with books, Katy with vinyl and today Deb handed down the contents of the loft which are now being sorted. There are lots of stamps, some in albums awaiting a new home.Free to whoever collects or pays postage.


Saturday 9 Sep

I have done something never attempted n all my 71 years. I have baked a cake. Still not completely cool but initial tasting if fine. Ginger cake recipe via National Trust magazine. Cooked sausage and kale pasta bake for dinner on a good day forepart with wins for England, Frome and Leeds who are now second. Selling Subbuteo and a Hornby O gauge clockwork train set circa 1950 in LNER green.

No comments: