Thursday, September 18, 2014 qBy Dan WoodingFounder of ASSIST Ministries
KANO, NIGERIA (ANS) --
Fifteen people were killed and 34 injured on Wednesday, September 17, 2014, when suspected members of the Islamist terror group Boko Haram launched a suicide bomb and gunfire attack on the Federal College of Education (FCE) in the capital of Kano State in northern Nigeria.
A student in one of the bombed classrooms at Federal College of Education in Kano (Photo: AFP/Getty Images)
“An infant and a lecturer were also killed by the attackers who struck around 1.53pm, arriving in a tinted Prado SUV,” said one media report. “Witnesses said two suicide bombers entered two separate lecture halls filled with hundreds of students and blew themselves up after firing automatic weapons."
According to other reports armed men fired shots as they approached a hall at the FCE’s new site at Gadon Kaya on Zaria Road at around 2pm as a lecture was underway. One detonated a suicide device while the other launched improvised explosive devices (IED), before opening fire on students who were attempting to escape.
“Police at a nearby checkpoint are reported to have responded promptly to the incident, shooting two assailants dead. Two AK-47s were recovered from the scene,” said a spokesperson for Christian Solidarity Worldwide (CSW).
In a statement delivered by a spokesperson, President Goodluck Jonathan commiserated with the people and residents of Kano and commended the Nigeria Police for their prompt action.
Later that evening, the CSW spokesperson went on to say, the Nigerian Army’s 7th Division scored a significant victory when it repelled a major attack by Boko Haram on Konduga Town in Borno State, reportedly killing 100s of the sect members.
Boko Haram fighters are causing havoc in Nigeria.
On Friday, September 12, 2014, the army had fought off an earlier attempt by a large Boko Haram contingent to seize Konduga Town for use as a forward base from which to launch a major attack on the Borno State capital, Maiduguri, causing the sect to suffer heavy losses in equipment and manpower, including the loss of an infamous emir.
Nevertheless, according to a recent statement by the Catholic Church of Nigeria, Boko Haram is currently in control of 25 north eastern towns, and an intensification in terrorist activities within the last month has caused massive displacement, creating “a huge humanitarian crisis.”
Moreover, the violence sect continues to abduct women and forcibly conscript young men. On Saturday, September 13, 2014, over 50 women, including married ones, were abducted from Gulak Town. Sect members also conducted indoctrination sessions, forcibly conscripting every able bodied youth when their audiences failed to volunteer to join them.
“Elsewhere, armed Fulani gunmen launched renewed attacks on three communities in Sanga Local Government Area (LGA), in the southern part of Kaduna State during the early hours of Wednesday, September 17, 2014,” said the CSW spokesperson. “Around 40 people are reported to have been killed and dozens more injured in the attacks on Fadan Karshi, Fadan Karshi Daji and Unguwan Ganye villages.
“Among the victims were retired clergyman Reverend Jacob Aku and his wife. According to local reports, prior to attacking the villages the gunmen had ambushed a military patrol van, killing one soldier and injuring four others. The attacks were the first in the area since June, when at least 123 villagers were murdered by Fulani gunmen.”
CSW’s Chief Executive Mervyn Thomas said, “Our thoughts and prayers are with those who lost loved ones in the attacks in Kano and Kaduna States, and with the women abducted from Gulak Town, who we pray will soon be rescued or released.
“We warmly welcome news of military successes, but are deeply concerned by reports of mass displacement, and by the number of towns said to be under Boko Haram’s control. Clearly, as Nigeria continues its efforts to end the group’s campaign of terror, the nation will need international assistance in order to provide for its burgeoning number of internally displaced people adequately.
“In addition, the fact gunmen were able to overrun current security arrangements in the southern part Kaduna State and take more innocent lives serves as an indication that the military presence in that area must be reviewed and increased.”
Christian Solidarity Worldwide (CSW) is a UK-based Christian organization working for religious freedom through advocacy and human rights, in the pursuit of justice.
For further information or to arrange interviews please contact Kiri Kankhwende, Press Officer at Christian Solidarity Worldwide on +44 (0)20 8329 0045 / +44 (0) 78 2332 9663, email@example.com
or visit www.csw.org.uk
Labels: Boko Haram, Nigeria, persecution