Friday, April 12, 2019

Rutherford revised (109)

109  To the Lady Earlston     From Aberdeen 7 Mar 1637

Mistress, - Grace, mercy and peace be to you. I long to hear how your soul prospers. I urge you to go on in your journey; your time is short, and your afternoon sun will soon go down. Make an end of your accounts with your Lord; for death and judgement are tides that wait for no-one. Salvation is supposed to be at the door, and Christianity thought to be easy work; but I find it hard, and the way narrow and tight, if my Guide was not content to serve me and care for a tired traveller. Do not let any known sin hurt your conscience. Let your children be like so many flowers borrowed from God: if the flower dies or withers, thank God for a summer's loan of them, And be a good neighbour to borrow and be on good terms with Him. Set your heart on heaven, and do not trouble your spirit with the passing idol of this world, which is only vanity, and only shines like a rainbow in the air, which comes and goes with a fleeting March shower. Clay is the bastards' idol, not the children's inheritance.
   My Lord has been pleased to make many strangers smile on me, and has made me well contented with a borrowed fireside and bed. I am feasted with the joys of the Holy Spirit, and my royal King honourably carries my burdens. I love the smell of Christ's sweet breath better than the world's gold. I wish I had help to praise Him.
    The great Messenger of the Covenant, the Son of God, establish you on your rock, and keep you until the day of His coming.
   Yours in his sweet Lord Jesus,   S.R.

No comments: