Friday, March 01, 2019

Rutherford revised (45)

45. To Marion M'Naught             From Anwoth Undated 

Well-beloved sister in Christ, - you will understand that I have received a letter from Edinburgh, saying it is thaught that there will be a General Assembly, or then some meeting of the bishops; and that at this synod, there will be some commissioners chosen by the Bishop; which news has so taken up my thoughts that I am not so settled to study as I have been before and therefore have never been so fearful about the work. But because it was sent to me as a secret, I dare not reveal it to anyone except yourself whom I know. And therefore I ask you, not for any comfort of mine, who is only one man, but for the glory and honour of Jesus Christ, the Master of the feast, be more serious with God; and in general show other Christians you know about my fears concerning myself. I can be content with shame in that work if my Lord and Master is honoured; and therefore ask our Lord especially to see to His own glory , and to give bread to His hungry children, even if I leave the feast hungry. Ask Mr Robert from me, that if he does not come, he remember us to my Lord.
   I have neither time not freedom of thought to write to you about your own case. Send me word if your husband and all your children are well. Seeing they are not yours but your Lord's, consider them borrowed and lay them down at God's feet. Your Christ to you is better than them all. You will pardon my unusually short letter; and remember me and that honourable feast to our Lord Jesus. He was with us before. I hope he will not change now; but I fear I have changed before Him. But Lord, let old kindness stand. Jesus Christ be with your spirit.
   Yours in his sweet Lord Jesus,  S.R. 

No comments: