Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Forgiveness - christiansquoting.org.uk

When someone hurts me, forgiveness is cheaper than a lawsuit. But not nearly as gratifying.

Forgive or relive.

He who forgives ends the quarrel. African Proverb

Without forgiveness life is governed by an endless cycle of resentment and retaliation - Roberto Assagioli

The glory of Christianity is to conquer by forgiveness. --William Blake (1757-1827)

No child of God sins to that degree as to make himself incapable of forgiveness.-- John Bunyan

Once a woman has forgiven a man, she must not reheat his sins for breakfast. Marlene Dietrich

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.--- Robert Lee Frost

Forgiveness breaks the chain of causality because he who forgives you -- out of love - - takes upon himself the consequences of what you have done. Forgiveness, therefore, always entails a sacrifice. Dag Hammarskjold, "Markings":, 17.4.1960

"Hey Dad, what mysterious force keeps me from being hurtled into space?"
"My forgiving nature." Ants, "B.C." strip by Johnny Hart

He that cannot forgive others, breaks the bridge over which he himself must pass if he would ever reach heaven; for everyone has need to be forgiven. Lord Herbert

Nobody ever forgets where he buried a hatchet. -- Kin Hubbard

Scarcely any law of our Redeemer is more openly transgressed, or more industriously evaded, than that by which he commands his followers to forgive injuries. - Samuel Johnson, Rambler #185

Of him that hopes to be forgiven it is indispensably required that he forgive. It is therefore superfluous to urge any other motive. On this great duty eternity is suspended, and to him that refuses to practise it the throne of mercy is inaccessible, and the Saviour of the world has been born in vain. -- Samuel Johnson: Rambler #185

Forgiveness does not mean ignoring what has been done or putting a false label on an evil act. It means, rather, that the evil act no longer remains as a barrier to the relationship."~ Martin Luther King Jr.

[God] is not proud...He will have us even though we have shown that we prefer everything else to Him. C.S. Lewis --The Problem of Pain

There is power in forgiveness. Phil McGraw

God has cast our confessed sins into the depths of the sea, and He's even put a 'No Fishing' sign over the spot. D.L.Moody

Our forgiving others will not procure forgiveness for ourselves; but our not forgiving others proves that we ourselves are not forgiven. - John Owen

With this sweet hope of ultimate acceptance with God, I have always enjoyed much cheerfulness before men; but I have at the same time laboured incessantly to cultivate the deepest humiliation before God. I have never thought that the circumstance of God's having forgiven me was any reason why I should forgive myself; on the contrary, I have always judged it better to loathe myself the more, in proportion as I was assured that God was pacified towards me (Ezekiel 16:63). ... Charles Simeon (1759-1836)

[When you forgive] you set a prisoner free, but you discover that the real prisoner was yourself.- Lewis B. Smedes _Forgive and Forget_.

.Over the long run, love's power to forgive is stronger than hate's power to get even.- Lewis B. Smedes _Forgive and Forget_.

Forgiving fits faulty folks. And we are all faulty. The best of us belong to that catholic club where nobody dares throw the first stone.
-Lewis B. Smedes _Forgive and Forget_.

Corrie Ten Boom tells of a time she learned an important aspect of spiritual growth. It was 1947 and she had just finished speaking of God's forgiveness to a group in a small German church.The audience was still haunted by memories of war. Yet the message they heard that day brought a sense of hope. They could forgive those who treated them so cruelly and go on with life. As the service concluded, Corrie noticed a heavyset man coming toward her. Instantly, she remembered him. He had been a guard at the concentration camp where she had been imprisoned. "I know God has forgiven me for the things I did," he said. "But I would like to hear it from your lips. Will you forgive me?" "It was the most difficult thing I had ever had to do," she writes. "I thrust my hand into the one stretched out to me. And as I did, an incredible thing took place. [A] healing warmth seemed to flood my whole being, bringing tears to my eyes. 'I forgive you, brother!'"
One of the ways we measure spiritual growth is by the way we extend our arms of forgiveness to others. In doing so, remember that Jesus extended His arms completely for you at Calvary. --Charles Stanley _In Touch_ [March 2, 1993], "Measuring Our Spiritual Growth"

Forgiveness is the key that unlocks the door of resentment and the handcuffs of hate. It is a power that breaks the chains of bitterness and the shackles of selfishness. --Corrie Ten Boom (1892-1983)

Without forgiveness, there's no future. --Desmond Tutu

To carry a grudge is like being stung to death by one bee. William H. Walton

We need not climb into heaven to see whether our sins are forgiven; let us look into our hearts, and see if we can forgive others. If we can, we need not doubt but God has forgiven us - Thomas Watson

No comments: