Sunday, April 08, 2007

Brighton and Hove

Brighton Pavillion bullt by John Nash for George IV when Prince Regent.He became Prince Regent in 1811 when his father was thought to be mad, and was crowned in 1820. He died in 1830 leaving a rich art collection and an architectural legacy including Buckingham Palace, Windsor Castle and the Royal Pavilion. The Royal Pavilion grew over 35 years from a simple farmhouse to a spectacular palace. In 1787 Henry Holland extended the original farmhouse into a neo-classical building know as the 'Marine Pavilion'.
From 1815-1823 John Nash used new technology to transform the Pavilion into the Indian style building that exists today. He enlarged the building and added the domes and minarets that characterise his design by superimposing a cast iron framework over Holland's Marine Pavilion.



Kay and Sunday. a student from Nigeria visiting us via HOST. HOST links oveseas students with families offering hospitality. We have had students from Germany, Gambia, Nigeria,Indonesia, Hong Kong and China.

Lunch on the shingle beach at Hove looking towards Brighton. Brighthelmstone (as Brighton was originally called) was transformed from a small fishing town into a fashionable resort in the mid 18th century through the discovery of the therapeutic effects of bathing in and drinking sea water. The success of this cure, promoted by Dr Richard Russell, drew fashionable society to the town to take the waters.
As Prince of Wales, George IV first visited Brighton in 1783, aged 21, partly on the recommendation of his doctors who thought that the sea water might ease the swellings in the glands of his neck. He also found the relaxed atmosphere of the town a welcome relief from the constraints of the staid and stifling court of his father, George III.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home