Monday, December 18, 2006

Afraid in Ipswich

A friend asked me for words of comfort for someone afraid to go out alone in Ipswich after the five recent murders. This is my response.

I was in Bradford at the time of the Ripper when women were afraid to go out and men too. (The men did not want to be stopped by police.) I was in N Ireland at the worst time of the troubles. I have been in London and Kabul when there were bombings. Why was I not afraid?It is not because I am not a worrier. I have often been anxious but not about sudden death.

I believe a firm trust in the providence of God is what keeps me from worry in these circumstances. Life is not a risk free enterprise but neither is it one of mere chance where we may seemingly without reason be subject to evil forces. I trust in the love of God for me shown in the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. I believe this is God's world. He is in control and he will protect me. If on the other hand I have to go through difficult experiences, this too is in God's hands and His grace will uphold me.

No comments: