Saturday, December 09, 2017

The changing world (25) Jan 1973 - Feb 1974

1973 was a year with no daily diary nor can I find an appointments one either so recollections are minimal. At Vom we had Saratu (Sarah) as cook. She would be cooing with bottled gas but sometimes a wood burning stove. Boyi was the youth looking after Jonathan,
   Going on leave game me my second favourite smell in Nigeria after the one of rain coming ending the dry season. As we walked across the tarmac at Kano to the KLM jet we were greeted by the aroma of real Dutch coffee. After three years of only being able to afford instant, it was a heavenly smell. Post Nigeria we have only drunk the real stuff.
   Our first leave was from September 73 having completed a three year initial tour. IIRC we flew to the Leeds/Bradford airport. England's green and pleasant land made a big impression after dry desert and dusty southern Europe.
   Jonathan was nearly three, David coming up to his first birthday. Jonathan was a chatterbox. Grandma Overend said he was vaccinated with a gramophone needle. Out nine month leave was between Skipton where we started and Potters Bar, both with our parents. It was their first time seeing their grandsons. We travelled in a mini, quite a squash. On one occasion we had the front passenger seat paced with cases etc and this pressed in the cigarette lighter setting the dashboard on fire as it overheated.
   The new year 1974 started with lunch at the excellent Red Lion, South Stainley, the best in the land. Then on to stay in Leeds for the Carey Conference. I had sympathies with the Reformed Baptists in those days. Now I am drier and more catholic in the subjects of the sacrament. That is with a lower case 'c'. There were papers from Geoff Thomas, David Kingdom , Errol Hulse and Herbert Carson.
   Next we visited Marshes in Stony Stratford and Balfours in Liverpool. We were into the time of short industrial working and petrol coupons. The miners were on strike and Heath was to prove how ineffective he was as PM.  I took deputation meetings in Preston and Birstall, West Yorks. I attended the Yorkshire Reformed Ministers fellowship in Hunslet and spoke at two places in Bradford. There I met my old All Nations friend John Thompson who had confided in me about his same sex attraction, which problem led to his later suicide. Meetings in Scarborough and Garforth then Pontefract, Stockton, Hartlepool, Sunderland. The family were staying with my parents until the end of January when we moved to Potters Bar and Katy's family.
   Deputation in Ealing and High Barnet Baptist. In Ealing it would be the last time we saw elder Peter Geear who died young of testicular cancer. Returned to my alma mater CU. IRA kill 11 soldiers n M62. Drove to stay with berry's in Portsmouth. He was Vom's first pharmacist who had challenged me to serve there nine years before. Meetings in Fratton, Bedhampton, Portsmouth, Southsea and Farnham. First visit to Greatham to see Daphne Boddington wife of our pastor there and sister in law of my eldest cousin Roger in New Zealand. In Southampton visited the Durhams. He was my contemporary as a pharmacy student. I met on this trip both Mrs Maxwell, widow of one of the first SUM missionaries. He was one of the first four pioneers. I also saw Mrs Barnden, widow of the founder of Vom Hospital. Meetings at Bognor and Littlehampton, the Costa geriatric where all present seemed at least 30 plus years my seniors. Westergate and Worthing meetings and finally Goring before return to the family in Potters bar. An unusual venue was Tottenham Rotary lunch thanks to brother in law Rodney's father's arranging.
   Another forgotten event was being received into membership at Welwyn Evangelical. Katy had been a member there since before our marriage there. We had been members of IPC Ealing since 1969 then of Vom Hospital Church since 1970. Perhaps this was missionary membership for Welwyn always supported us well. Ian Tait the minister spoilt me with sending the gift of all new Banner of Truth publications expanding my library.
Attended a course on programmed instruction writing at Theobalds Park College, Enfield. This was for my planned Theological Education by Extension writing. I did not find it helpful and left without completing the studies. February ended with a general election, the first time I stayed up to see results come in.
   Visitors in Nigeria from USA, England, Nigeria, N Ireland, and Scotland.

 
 
 

No comments: