Sunday, May 26, 2019

Rutherford Revised (141)

141. To James Macadam      From Aberdeen 13 Mar 1637

( Presumed to be one of a family of eminent Christians from whom much later descended Macadam the road engineer)

My very dear and worthy friend, - Grace, mercy and peace be to you. I long to hear of your growing in grace, and of your progress on your journey to heaven. It would be my heart's joy to hear that you keep your face looking uphill, and wade through temptations not fearing what men can do, When Christ rises he will cut down his enemies, and lay the dead on the grass, and fill the holes with dead bodies (Ps 110:6; 'filling them with corpses'). They will be like handfuls of withered hay when he rises to fight. Salvation, salvation is the one necessary thing. This clay idol, the world, is not to be sought; it is not a mouthful for you, but for hungry bastards. Fight for salvation. Your Master, Christ, took heaven by force: it is a castle besieged; it must be taken by violence. Oh, this world thinks heaven is right next door; and that godliness can sleep in a feather bed until it gets to heaven! But that will not do.
   For myself, I am as well as Christ's prisoner can be; for through Him I am master and king over all my crosses. I am beyond prison and the harm from men's tongues; Christ triumphs in me. I have been depressed and heavy with worries and haunted by temptations. I was swimming in deep water , but Christ had his hand under my chin all the time, and was careful that I should not drown; and now I have found my feet again, and there are love feasts of joy, and spring tides of comfort between Christ and me. We get on well; I am in His favour; I am still welcome in His house. Oh, my short arms cannot reach the depths of His love! I beg you, I charge you to help me to praise. You have a prisoner's prayers, so do not forget me. 
   I want Sibylla to remember me dearly to everyone in that parish who knows Christ, just as if I had named them all.
   Grace, grace be with you,
      Yours, in his sweet Lord Jesus,  S.R.

No comments: