Saturday, May 04, 2019

Rutherford Revised (126)

126. To Marion M'Naught          Aberdeen 11 Mar1637

Loving and dear Sister, - Grace, mercy and peace be to you. Your letter has refreshed my soul. I do not advise you to quickly leave that town; for if you move from Kirkcudbright they will easy undo the good that has been done. You are in God's work and His place there. Be strong in the Lord; the devil is weaker than you for He that is in you is stronger than he that is in the world. The care and love you have shown me, a now a prisoner of Christ, is stored up for you in heaven, and you will know it is remembered before God. 
   Pray, pray for my abandoned flock; and gave them your advice when you meet any of them. I will be sad to hear that a wolf has entered into my work; but if the Lord permits it, I am silent. My sky will clear for Christ lays my head on His chest and lets me lean there. I never before knew how great is his love. If He leaves me he leaves me in pain and sick with love; and yet this sickness is my life and health. I have a fire within me; I defy all the devils in hell, and all the bishops in Scotland to pour water on it. 
   I rejoice at your courage and faith. Pray still as if I was coming to be your pastor. What iron gates or bars can withstand Christ for when he blows, they open to Him.
   I remember your husband. Grace, grace be with you.
      Yours in his sweet Lord Jesus, S.R.


No comments: