Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Grass Valley, California 16 July, 4.24 am

First post in my holiday blogging.

The body clock is out of sync after a 26 hour day yesterday to get here.

As usual I was up at home by 6 am yesterday, packed and left by 8.30 to catch the Tube to Heathrow as soon as I could buy a 9 am ticket on my free senior citizens pass. Travel through Terminal One one the smoothest I have ever experienced as I booked in for the noon United fight to Dulles, Washington DC. My only complaint is the removal of all smoking areas from Heathrow. Dulles is better but that was eight hours away.

I was given a bulkhead seat so plenty of room. I snoozed on and off and read Nick O'Farrell on the History of Britain, a fun read.

Dulles was slow through immigration but I had time for a good chat with a Korean doctoral music student who is a conductor. I had a three hour transit then a five and a half hour flight to Sacramento, again legroom in a window bulkhead seat. I was there just after 9 pm in a not unpleasant 80's temperature. Dennis met me with grandson Jacob who was having a very late night for a four year old. On the way to Grass Valley we called on Joanna the bride to be in her new apartment on a gated estate.

It was good to get to Grass Valley, see Julie and daughter Esther and get to bed at 12.30 after the 26 hour day.

No comments: