Friday, February 13, 2009

Books read in February 2009 (3)

1. Praise!

This is the second time our church's hymnbook has appeared here. I read a coule of pages a day as part of my early morning devotions as a springboard to praise and thankgiving. I continue to like the balance f old and new, psalms and hymns. Usually the revisiond do help. Sometimes they lose the plot.

'My chains fell off, my heart was free,
I rose, went forth, and followed Thee.'

Loses its force when it becomes.

'My chains fell off, my heart was new,
I rose, went forth, and followed you.'

But this book does get top marks from me on the whole.

2. The Associate by John Grisham

I have read all the author's novels. This is not one of his best. It held my interest to the end but what an end. It is simply not satisfying . The only justification for such a weak ending has to be a sequel, not a Grisham characteristic, though with such a young and promising lawyer we could have a whole series. This is one of the few novels where Grisham's Christian faith shines through. One character is converted from a life of promiscuity and substance abuse and really shows repentance. It raises interesting questions about forgiveness and reparation.

3. Every Mother's Nightmare: Abertillery in Mourning by Neil Milkins

A most detailed and well illustrated account of a a most infamous 1921 double murder. The second victim of 15 year old Harold Jones was my third cousin once removed. He killed her two weeks having been found not guilty of the murder of another young girl. He pleaded guilty to the second murder for a prolonged trial might have gone on until after he was 16. At 16 he would have been hanged. On release over 20 years later, Jones may well have killed others. I await the author's next book on murders in West London which may yet be laid at Jones door. A chilling read about a young psychopath.

No comments: