Thursday, January 08, 2009

Tax efficient giving = Good stewardship

Our church encouraged us to donate Christmas hampers to the poor. The problem was we were to buy the with our own donations. I wanted to give to the church and the church let the charity concerned buy the hampers. This way my donation would increase by two thirds. £6 becomes £10. But it was not to be.

I was happy to help with donating to a housegroup hamper but not happy that there was no tax efficient way of doing so. I have a great dislike of giving from my net income when the law provides for me to get the tax back from the government. This dislike has increased as God has blessed me, and the government cursed me with a higher rate of tax. I do believe the higher rate of tax comes under James 1, a trial to be counted as joy.

No comments: