Thursday, January 08, 2009

The agnostic buses

Click the link for an article.It says,'the campaign was originally started as a positive counter-response to the Jesus Said ads running on London buses in June 2008. These ads displayed the URL of a website which stated that non-Christians "will be condemned to everlasting separation from God and then you spend all eternity in torment in hell … Jesus spoke about this as a lake of fire prepared for the devil". Our rational slogan will hopefully reassure anyone who has been scared by this kind of evangelism. '

So what slogan would we put out on the buses? Not, Smile Jesus loves you.

God is angry with the wicked everyday.?
I hate divorce.?
God shows his love to us in that when we were yet sinners...?

I have no doubt we would not have the freedom to quote parts of Rom 1 or Leviticus.

Next the nomenclature. It is not an atheist campaign but an agnostic one. As Spurgeon pointed out, agnostic is Greek for not knowing. From the equivalent Latin we get, ignoramus.

Personally I favour a little sticker campaign. How can I get a supply of stickers with suitable slogans like,' The fool has said in his heart...' etc?

Christian Voice advises we complain to the ASA as there is no factual basis for their claim, which is an interesting approach. But I have less faith in the ASA than I do in bishops who vote against blasphemy laws (NT Wright et al)

Suggestions please.

2 comments:

Christina Cooper said...

I also find it sad that no matter what we say in defense, we are criticized and looked at like we are stupid. People ask me how I could possibly believe in God. I guess they haven't lived and seen the things I have. I will keep praying for them.

Christina Cooper
If I Only Had One Wish
www.aframeofmindart.com

Graham Weeks said...

Is there a link between atheism and incivility?

Ideological differences are no excuse for rudeness.Judith Martin (1938-
____) "Miss Manner's Guide to Excruciatingly Correct Behavior," 1982.

I note the atheist had problems with civility to the person of faith.
He/she has a worldview which does not encompass theism. OTH as a
Christian, I can be civil to those with whom I disagree because my
worldview encompasses their folly.