Saturday, July 09, 2005

Return of the lost blogger

A year away as I had trouble seeing my blog on my mac. It has now crashed and is to go for repair. Now I am on my daughter's state of the art G5 and have found this again.

This week I took a couple of days off work to attend a course on my hero, Abraham Kuyper, at the London Theological Seminary. It is part of a degree course run by Westminster Theological Seminary.

The Gospel versus the Revolution could now be my sig. Our teacher, McKendree Langley taght us the background to Kuyper was the French Revolution, the first true revolution to change the world. Christendom was overthrown. man was put on the throne in place of God, reason in place of revelation. Kuyper formulated a Christian political response to this with his Anti-revolutionary Party in the Netherlands. It was a principled pluralistic response. He rejecteded any establishment of Christianity as theocratic.

Our teacher came to us to dinner last night. A great encouragment to have fellowship with a conservative Kuyperian. He tells me there are progressive Kuyperians who want the worldview without the spirituality of the great Abraham. I think they call themselves neo-kuyperians.

Now to prepare for sporting humiliation as I watch The Lion's third test. At least we play clean by comparison with the All Blacks whose fouls seem invisible to referees.

3 comments:

stevebishop said...

Hi Graham,
Found this blog via the ChaletKuyper list - welcome to the blog world! I was intrigued by the distinction between conservative and progressive Kuyperians. Did McKendree Langley say any more on this? Who would be the progressives and who the conservatives? And where would he put the Dooyeweerdians?

Cheers,
Steve

Graham Weeks said...

I will not name names but the people who did the Princeton conference are progressives. http://www.ptsem.edu/grow/kuyper/

I think they are people who do not combine the piety of AK with his worldview as would conservatives like ML and myself.

Which of the Steves I know are you? I am too lazy to trawl the chalet members!

Gideon Strauss said...

Three cheers for Kuyper!