Sunday, March 23, 2008

Pacificsm - christiansquoting.org.uk

[A pacifist is] the last and least excusable on the list of the enemies of society.--G. K. Chesterton

I do believe that where there is a choice only between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence. --Mohandas Gandhi

Pacifism is objectively pro-fascist. This is elementary common sense. If you hamper the war effort of one side, you automatically help out that of the other. Nor is there any real way of remaining outside such a war as the present one. In practice, 'he that is not with me is against me' - George Orwell, writing of Britain's pacifists in 1942

The Bible is clear here: I am to love my neighbor as myself, in the manner needed, in a practical way, in the midst of the fallen world, at my particular point of history. This is why I am not a pacifist. Pacifism in this poor world in which we live -- this lost world -- means that we desert the people who need our greatest help. -- Francis Schaeffer, 1984

The pacifist thinks that the alternative to war is peace; it is not. Sometimes the alternative is oppression. Sometimes certain God-given rights and liberties can be preserved only by resistance to that which would destroy them. And to defend certain basic God-given rights and liberties is not immoral but righteous. --Fulton John Sheen (1895-1979) _A Declaration Of Dependance_ [1941]

No comments: