Thursday, October 20, 2005

Visiting Timisoara

This week I am in Romania as the guest of Hope Presbyterian Church, Timisoara where I preached on Sunday. This is my second visit to Romania and once again one is struck by the poverty of the country and the warmth of the welcome.

I was very pleased to be invited here, the place where the 1989 revolution started that led to the fall of the Evil Empire. In Revolution Square one can still see the bullet marks above MacDonalds. ( for myself I would use more explosives to rid Europe of this culinary menace).

The square is dominated by the Orthodox cathedral. I find Orthodox churches beautiful outside but mere ornate superstition inside.
We walked to see the Hungarian Reformed Church, where the pastor, Tokes, was the focus of the start of the 1989 rising. Unfortunately we were not there when it was open for viewing.

Nevertheless it is good to be close to such a witness that God brings down kingdoms and that there is only one kingdom that will last for ever. Hail King Jesus, King of Kings and Lord of Lords!

No comments: