Sunday, November 15, 2009

Return to Twickers

It is 40 years since I last saw rugby at Twickenham. That was Oxford University v South Africa, the last apartheid tour. I argued with the demonstrators saying I was going to work in Nigeria, a more practical help for Africa than their banners.

I went with my youngest, the ticket being her birthday treat. The 80,000 seat stadium is a mile from the station. Lots of enterprising homeowners have turned front gardens into fast food outlets.I have also never seen so many mounted police but I think that was for helping stop the traffic as rugby crowds are well behaved.

The game was disappointing in that the first half, at 9-9 saw no decent England try attempts. Once again all the points for us were from Johnny's boot. There was a strong wind which did not help kicking but could lift the numerous paper aeroplanes thrown towards the pitch. It you give spectators card to wave, you can expect such fun. Planes which got to the pitch gained applause. More than 14 of our team did that half.

Click on the title for photos. Second half was better and we had our try.

I was appalled by poor line of sight next to a gangway being constantly blocked by people gong to get beer. I am all for beer but when I go to a game it is to watch not to drink and pee.

No comments: