Thursday, July 09, 2009

Calvin 500 (8)

As I wrote before this was the final day's programme. I do not know why we finish on the eve of Big John's birthday.

VJULY 9, 2009 (THURSDAY)
9:00 Paper: Dr. Andrew McGowan: “John Calvin’s Doctrine of Scripture”
9:40 Paper: Dr. Michael Horton: “Union and Communion: Rediscovering Calvin’s Eucharistic Theology”
10:20 Paper: Dr. Henri Blocher: “Calvin on Divine Election”
11:00 Break
11:15 Paper: Dr. Jae Sung Kim, “Calvinism in Asia”
12:00 Keynote Address: Dr. Bruce McCormack: “Union with Christ in Calvin’s Theology: Grounds for a Divinization Theory?”

I confess to difficulty staying awake in these. The academic papers have been less than rivetting. I liked the Asia one best. I went into the modern town for lunch, near the station. Better value there. 20sf for Moroccan soup, chicken and a beer. Then I read by the Jet L'Eau and chatted to an Egyptian Muslim banker with a business in USA bit now living and investing in Poland. A thoughtful capitalist who agrees that shari'a banking is hypocrisy, interest by another name. I explained to him how Calvin opened up the door to capitalism when he taught that lending for business is not usury.
19:00 Sermon: Rev. Ted Donnelly: “More Than Conquerors,” Rom. 8:37
20:00 Dr. Hywel Jones: “One of a Thousand,” Job 36:1-4
21:00 Dr. Derek Thomas: “Adoring the Majesty of God,” Rom. 11:33-36
Three excellent sermons to conclude.
We had USA 7 sermons, Wales 3, Scotland 2 and one each N Ireland, Uganda and South Africa.

Now I am all calvinned out and ready to spent all tomorrow on the lake to Montreux and back, DV. Now to check the weather forecast.

BTW, if there was an award for the best Reformation beard I would have won it by a considerable length.

No comments: