Thursday, September 08, 2011

First hand account of life in Jos today

I received this today from my former colleague in Jos. He is a man in his eighties, by birth a Hausa Muslim, by faith now a Christian. He grew up and was converted while resident in a Christian village near Jos. Some years ago he had to leave his village for the state capital Jos, for Hausas were no longer safe among local Christians. So this Hausa man lives among his fellow Hausas in Jos, a Christian among Muslims. This is his letter to me today translated from Hausa. Read, weep and pray. Let me know if you would like to send him practical help.

'To my brother in our great and glorious Lord Christ,

Greetings to you and your family with best wishes for boundless grace. I hope you are well unlike us here in Jos where there is no happiness, no love, only killing and burning of houses and vehicles.
I wanted to visit the home of our doctor friend but I could not. The hospital was impossible to get to also. But I took courage and went to the church headquarters where I found our friend and told him of my troubles. He helped me with a gift so I could buy some food for I told him we had been hiding indoors for eight days of fear. Yesterday I took courage, went out to seek him and returned home safely with enough yams and corn for a week. I thank him for this help, I am very grateful.
We have never seen trouble like this. I hid indoors with my wife and some of our orphaned grandchildren whose father has been killed. We suddenly heard shouting, people running outside our home like a riot. I locked the doors and hid for eight days. But today God has given us food for a week. We have seen terrible things and they would certainly have been much worse if you had not been praying for us. So we thank you and pray the Lord bless you with his grace. Amen and amen. I want youo to tell all my friends in England, especially Miss ( the lady who led him to Christ) that they must keep on praying for us. Thank you. Thank you. May the Lord richly bless you with his grace. Amen . Amen. Give my greetings to your wife, family and friends.
Until the day that God reunites us here or in heaven where there will be no dread, violence, suffering or death. Thank you. Thank you.
I am yours in Christ,
GA.'

No comments: