Friday, December 26, 2008

Sincerity - christiansquoting.org.uk

Teach me your way, O LORD, and I will walk in your truth; give me an undivided heart, that I may fear your name.- Ps. 86:11 NIV

Of a person [Burke] who differed from him in politicks, he said, "In private life he is a very honest gentleman; but I will not allow him to be so in public life. People may be honest, though they are doing wrong; that is between their Maker and them. But we, who are suffering by their pernicious conduct, are to destroy them. We are sure that ------ [Burke] acts from interest. We know what his genuine principles were. They who allow their passions to confound the distinctions between right and wrong, are criminal. They may be convinced; but they have not come honestly by their conviction."- Boswell: Life of Johnson

My uncle used to tell me, 'Dave, the most important thing in life is sincerity. Once you can fake that, you got it made.'- David Lee Roth

But oh. sincerity, sincerity, if I knew what sincerity meaneth!-S Rutherford, Letter 281, p 526

This above all, to thine own self be true,
And it must follow as the night the day
Thou canst not then be false to any man.
William Shakespeare, Hamlet Prince of Denmark (Polonius at I, iii)

The value of an idea has nothing whatever to do with the sincerity of the man who expresses it. --Oscar Wilde

No comments: