Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Self esteem - christiansquoting.org.uk

Your true value depends entirely on what you are compared with.

I read an article that said the way to achieve inner peace is to finish things I had started. Today I finished two bags of potato chips, a chocolate pie, bottle of wine and a small box of chocolate candy. I feel better already.

The relationships we have with the world are largely determined by the relationships we have with ourselves.- Greg Anderson, The 22 Non-Negotiable Laws of Wellness

Some people are afraid of what they might find if they try to analyze themselves too much, but you have to crawl into your wounds to discover where your fears are. Once the bleeding starts, the cleansing can begin.- Tori Amos

The bad man is continually at war with, and in opposition to, himself. - Aristotle

Finding oneself was a misnomer; a self is not found but made. -Jacques Barzun, _From Dawn to Decadence_

SELF-ESTEEM, n. An erroneous appraisement. - Ambrose Bierce: The Devil's Dictionary

He who knows himself best esteems himself least. -Henry George Bohn (1796-1884)

Self esteem is the reputation we acquire with ourselves. - Nathaniel Branden

An individual's self-concept is the core of his personality. It affects every aspect of human behavior: the ability to learn, the capacity to grow and change . . . . A strong, positive self-image is the best possible preparation for success in life. - Joyce Brothers(1928-____)

Most people with low self-esteem have earned it. -George Carlin

"Who is the world am I?" Ah, that's the great puzzle! ~Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

The one sole thing in myself in which I glory is that I see in myself nothing in which I can glory. -- Catherine of Genoa (1447-1510)

One may understand the cosmos, but never the ego; the self is more distant than any star. --Gilbert Keith Chesterton (1874-1936) _Orthodoxy_ [1908], "The Logic of Elfland"

Sever me from myself
that I may be grateful to you;
may I perish to myself
that I may be safe in you;
may I die to myself
that I may live in you;
may I wither to myself
that I may blossom in you;
may I be emptied of myself
that I may abound in you;
may I be nothing to myself
that I may be all to you.
Desiderius Erasmus (1467-1536) [Dutch humanist scholar]

There are three things extremely hard: steel, a diamond, and to know one's self-
Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790) In "Webster's Electronic Quotebase," ed. Keith Mohler, 1994.

Be yourself, who else is better qualified? - Frank J. Giblin

You've no idea what a poor opinion I have of myself -- and how little I deserve it.- William Gilbert (1836-1911)

For a man to achieve all that is demanded of him he must regard himself as greater than he is. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832)

Self-respect is the fruit of discipline; the sense of dignity grows with the ability to say no to oneself.- Abraham J. Heschel

The capacity for getting along with our neighbor depends to a large extent on the capacity for getting along with ourselves. The self-respecting individual will try to be as tolerant of his neighbor's shortcomings as he is of his own. - Eric Hoffer

When we leave people on their own, we are delivering them into the hands of a ruthless taskmaster from whose bondage there is no escape. The individual who has to justify his existence by his own efforts is in eternal bondage to himself. - Eric Hoffer

That kind of life is most happy which affords us most opportunities of gaining our own self-esteem.- Samuel Johnson

He had delusions of adequacy. - Walter Kerr (1913 - 1996), on an unknown actor

Whatever else you may be sure of, be sure of this: that you are dreadfully like other people. - James Russell Lowell, _My Study Windows_, 1871

Self-respect: the secure feeling that no one, as yet, is suspicious.- H. L. Mencken

The only conquests that are permanent and leave no regrets are our conquests over ourselves.-- Napoleon

Lust, Pride, Sloth, and Gluttony, or, as we call them these days, "geetting in touch with your sexuality," "raising your self-esteem," "relaxation therapy," and "being a recovered bulimic."- P. J. O'Rourke, _The CEO of the Sofa_, 2001

It may be called the Master Passion, the hunger for self-approval.- Mark Twain

When people do not respect us we are sharply offended; yet in his private heart no man much respects himself. - Mark Twain

Sometimes the only way you can feel good about yourself is by making someone else look bad. And I'm tired of making other people feel good about themselves.- Homer Simpson

No comments: