Thursday, July 12, 2007

The Tour Arrives

The Fench police were much in evidence in the entourage preceding the cyclists. Note the hand. You might think it is signalling for the gendarmes to halt. Not so. It was there to greet the Fench and ruin my photos as you will see soon.
If Napoleon had succeeded all our police would be like this. They were having a grand day touring Kent, presumably with no work to do until Monday when the tour would be in France.
We had waited over three hours for this moment. The peleton is upon us with no breakaway riders in front. So the woman next to me waves right in front of my camera while she takes her shots. Not merely a hand waving you see but one filled out with hat and specs. I was so busy concentrating on getting some shots I did not realise how many she was to spoil for me.
At last. Mrs Hand is not there. 180 riders all together at nearly 30mph is very impressive.
Round the roundabout they go with only 1Km to the finish and Mrs Hand is behind me.

No comments: